Thursday, February 24, 2011
Friday, February 11, 2011
Who has two thumbs and just won free Grand Slams for a year at the Denny's by her house?
So I had decided that I needed a couple days off and I was nearing the max on my vacation accrual at work (how, I don't know... Apparently I need to take more time off....) so I took Friday and Monday off. To start off my lovely 4-day weekend, I decided that I wanted pancakes... I just didn't want to have to make them.
The nearest Denny's to me had just reopened after a remodel and ownership change, so I decided to go pop in... Plus, I had seen that they were going to be having a promotion where every 10th customer to pay would win free Grand Slams for a year... I very rarely win things, so I figured it would just be pancakes and then out the door... I was wrong. Instead my farewell from Denny's included an air horn and confetti in my face.
Now I have coupons (which I realistically will use very few of...) for a free Grand Slam a week until January of next year.
Looks like it's gonna be a good little mini-vacation for me.... I think now I need to go to Harvey's and see if they still have any of the purse I want left in stock at the store... This could be my lucky day!
I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket!
Tuesday, February 8, 2011
Things that make me smile today:
- J cracking me up this morning - he always does. It’s one of his many talents...
- My friend telling me she would “pour one out for me” - you know... Like with rappers - pour one out for their homies that can’t be there... (Yes, I realize how very white I sound explaining that...) It cracked me up.
- Pandora Radio - I have developed a deep and passionate love for Pandora Radio. Ever since I got my new phone, I have known that it was there... I just never took the time to explore it. Well, I got sick of having to actually hear people that sit near me at work, so I turned it on and picked The Beatles. I quickly got bored with all the other music that WASN’T The Beatles (yes, I understand that this is how Pandora works...) and decided that I wanted to listen to Pink instead.
And am absolutely thrilled with the assortment of guilty pleasure music that has been rocking my brain out... I’m talking Gaga, Kelly Clarkson (right at this moment, actually), Katy Perry, Christina Aguilera, Rihanna... Most of these ladies are not ones that I would ever pay to own the music of, but I can’t help but bop along to the beat while walking around the office... LOVING it.
- Vacation days - I took this Friday and next Monday off. I deserve it. Haha and then... Next Friday will probably be an early close at the office because the following Monday is a holiday... This month is gonna fly by and I’m going to get to spend more of it home than normal, so I am a very happy girl...
- My “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies” wall calendar on my desk at work - it has the pictures that were in the book in full color... I love the weird looks and questions I get. But no one seems surprised to see it at my desk... Good? Bad? I think people just understand that I am not normal... And love me for it.
"Elizabeth lifted her skirt, disregarding modesty, and delivered a swift kick to the creature's head."
- Sea Salt and Turbinado Sugar Dark Chocolate Almonds from Trader Joe’s - Someone put a container of these on the counter at work to share... Umm... Fantastic. Salty, sweet, chocolatey... So good.
- Laughing at myself while almost tearing up when “Keep Holding On” by Avril Lavigne came on Pandora - because I always think of the episode of Glee that it was on... It made me tear up when it was on the show and I can’t help it now... hahaha And because it’s actually a great song and good for making you feel good if you are having a crappy time of it.... haha
- My Kindle - I seriously love this thing. And I was always the “but I just like the act of holding a real book and flipping through... blah, blah, blah...” Yeah... I’m totally over that noise. I ADORE this thing. I read more than I have in a while - just check out my list of books I’ve read this year so far... I’m on #8 this year! I’ll admit, my pace is slowing down, but still...
The only thing that is weird to me is being at Target and seeing the book section and knowing that buying actual books is a thing of the past for me. Now I just have a list in my phone of “books I wants” (just like that because I always mis-type it that way anyway...) that I will eventually get on my Kindle.
- Finally using the correct search word in the Android App store to find Google Reader - I swear I had searched for it by name before and never found it... Now I can keep up with all of my favorite blogs so much easier :-)
- Glee! - I am a total Gleek... And two new episodes in one week makes Kelly a happy girl...
Things that make me want to rip my hair out today:
- “Debbie Downer” at work - this woman is never happy... There’s not even an “unless” to add to that. She’s just never happy. I try to lighten her mood, but it doesn’t work. I forwarded her this really cute video someone had sent me of a puppy doing all these really cute tricks:
Her response? “Too bad they made him fat with all those treats”
1. Puppy is NOT fat
2. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE HAPPY ONCE IN A WHILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. Shut your face!
- Chick next to me - As always.
- Chick that used to sit next to me or MFP (sarcastically - My Favorite Person) - for some reason she has come to think that we are bestest friends and won’t leave me alone.
- My nails breaking - the last remotely nice looking one broke today... Ugh.
- Needing to wash my car - I absolutely LOVE how my car looks when it’s clean... But I absolutely hate the futility of trying to keep it clean...
That’s about it, actually... Today’s a pretty good day....
How was your day?
Wednesday, February 2, 2011
I don’t really know why it popped in my head the other day, but I have been thinking about something that happened a couple years ago that still feels like it had to have been a dream...
We had met up with friends at a local pool place called Big Shots. We played a few games - which I quickly lost. Because I’m terrible.
Just because I have my own pool cue does not mean that I am any good... You know they sell those things at Walmart, right? Well, they do...
Any who... Once everyone was sick of playing, we all decided it was time to head home. We were out in the parking lot - talking and saying goodbye when we heard a commotion up by the front door. A man was yelling and cursing at someone else... No idea what the problem was, but he seemed pretty pissed... We didn’t really take too much notice because he was standing near the doorman/bouncer and we figured he would diffuse the situation. Until it suddenly got weirdly quiet.
We all looked back up there to see the man that had been yelling holding the other (much smaller) guy up against the wall with a knife to his throat.
My first thought was “There is no way that’s happening right now... There is NO WAY this is happening... This is South Orange County!!!”
My second thought was “Crap - He’s gonna stab him, J and the other guys are gonna be heroes and tackle ‘knife guy’, and I’m gonna have to tend to the wounded man... And I don’t want to get blood on my jeans... I really like these jeans....”
Because that’s obviously what goes through your head in a moment like that.........
Well, we quietly walked closer to our cars while one of my friends called 911 and eventually went home. No one was stabbed, no heroics were needed, and I didn’t get any blood on my jeans.
I remember the next day it seemed so much like it was a dream. I have always had really vivid dreams and sometimes forget if something was real or not and seriously had to verify with J that it really happened.
It didn’t make me feel any less safe in an area I’ve lived in for years... I had completely forgotten about it until the other day... Seems like something you would remember - something that would go through your head every time you drove past the place... And I drive past it regularly.
But we haven’t gone back there since that night...